Copper plate engravings by Serge Arnoux Circa 1970. Printed Robert Campbell Henderson 2019
Proverbs of Hell
1. In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy.
3. The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
4. Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity.
5. He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence.
8. A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.
9. He whose face gives no light, shall never become a star.
12. The hours of folly are measur'd by the clock, but of wisdom: no clock can measure.
14. Bring out number weight & measure in a year of dearth.
15. No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings.
16. A dead body, revenges not injuries.
19. Folly is the cloke of knavery.
20. Shame is Prides cloke.
21. Prisons are built with stones of Law, Brothels with bricks of Religion.
24. The wrath of the lion is the wisdom of God.
25. The nakedness of woman is the work of God.
26. Excess of sorrow laughs. Excess of joy weeps.
29. Joys impregnate. Sorrows bring forth.
30. Let man wear the fell of the lion, woman the fleece of the sheep.
31. The bird a nest, the spider a web, man friendship.
33. What is now proved was once only imagin'd.
47. Listen to the fools reproach! it is a kingly title!
53. The soul of sweet delight, can never be defil'd
57. Damn, braces: Bless relaxes.
64. Exuberance is Beauty !
66. Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius.